Thursday, May 29, 2008

Spring evening runs

It's late in the day for me... I thought maybe you were out today. I'm doing some sql programming right now... and I'm hungry despite the larger than usual meal I had for lunch.
I'll go home at 5:30pm and change into shorts.. then I'm thinking...what next, where next?
Up to the mountains but I need a new running course. I know them all... perhaps I'll do the
rough and tumble run, I affectionately name the coyote ridge special.... will they see me now, a bit grey and slower of step? Perhaps a tasty meal for the young pups? I spot them only with their whitish poops, the hairs of various voles carpeting their dried dung. No I don't see them or rather, I see movement and I know it's them but unlike the fox, I don't know their smell, or it can't be perceived at such distance. A turn of foot and I might be limping, confused as night falls. Cold air might seal my fate, if not the teeth of the alpha bitch nipping sharply at my wounded heel. No, I'll stay on the garden path, with the mountain bikers, along the old stone walls. Cellphone would be of no use in these hills .... one turns a corner and the rocks block all but perhaps the old AM radio waves. Broad circles and no more than 2+ miles from my parked car. It's nice to feel the rarity of my aged body, cavorting in such a manner,
though the ridge run excites me most, death is not so distant, the practice steels my soul.

No comments: