Thursday, March 27, 2008

1 month after diagnosis of Thyroid Cancer

I'm one month since my diagnosis, I still haven't had surgery, that's April 17th. Nobody told me to do it but I contacted an endocrinologist and got a bunch of blood tests. I thought it would be wise to get a baseline pre-operative. If you aren't suffering from Thyroid Cancer, this could get to be pretty boring. But I'm guessing there are multiple people out there who are just diagnosed or will be diagnosed later this year, so I'm hoping this will benefit them... One guy started a blog and made an entry 4 days after surgery...then didn't hear from him for a year. Thanks for the extra effort, man. Next up is the follow-up with the endocrine doctor and of course the pre-surgical testing... You don't want to do that too far away from the surgery because, if the doctor gets sick or you get sick, and the operation gets postponed... they like to have data that's a month old or less, preferably less. And of course the clearance from your GP that you are fit to be sliced. But now I'm just taking my reservatrol (careful, it thins the blood!)
because some study said that it worked to kill Thyroid cancer cells in a test tube. If you google and try to find other OTC medicines/substances that work against Thyroid Cancer - good luck,
you won't find very much out there at all! I fear for my singing voice, I fear if an endocrinologist decides that 88% of normal is the safe bet for me... because I'm a middle-aged
(ok 49) year old man. But now I'm in no-man's land. Few tests until next week, no doctor's appointments, just hang in there and think good thoughts that will keep these dumb cells from
invading the lymph glands. BTW I'm consider Stage 2 because of the large size of my lump.
4 Centimeters. Remember folks not to take any substances 7 days before the surgery that might thin the blood.... watch out for MSM, for garlic in large doses, aspirin, etc.
I saw my first Golden-Crowned Kinglet today... and heard my first Eastern Phoebe.
Yayy for Spring! /pvs

No comments: